Tuesday, December 11, 2012

12 Tags of 2012-Snowman Joy and Deck the Halls

This month, Tim Holtz posted his 11th and 12th tags of 2012. It has been fun following along, creating my own projects based on his ideas/techniques. This month he posted the December tag as well as the tag he “owed us” from last January (as if he owed us anything more than he already gives, really!).

Here are “my takes” on those two tags.

IMG_3145 snowman joy w borderIMG_3159 Deck the Halls w border

When I was a student, I was always one to follow directions exactly. Seriously. The upside to that was good grades. Great grades, actually. The downside to that is that I did not allow myself any “space” to be creative. Since nothing I do is for a grade anymore (YAY!!), I have discovered that I actually do have a little creativity hidden deep inside me (somewhere)—have to pull on it to “get it out” sometimes! So, now I find that I never make a project exactly like the one I am using for inspiration—because I don’t have to, and I don’t want to, and I do think that is a good thing, in the end!

For the Snowman Joy tag, I used Broken China and Brushed Pewter Distress Stains to create the background. I stamped the Tim Holtz blueprint snowman directly on the tag and also on watercolor paper. I stamped the hat an additional time. I cut out the stamped images from the white watercolor paper. After using Distress Inks and a water pen to color in and shade the snowman and the extra hat, I covered the shaded areas on the snowman as well as the holly leaves, with Distress Rock Candy Stickles. Then the cut-out snowman was popped up on top of the stamped image on the tag, and the extra hat on top of him, for a 3-D effect. As for the frosty look (Stickles), you know the story—glittery, glitzy things do not show up in my photos very well. Here is a close-up for a little better view (if you click to enlarge, you get a much better idea):

IMG_3185 closeup of stickles w border

I placed a strip of music tissue tape along the bottom, with a strip of Tinsel Twine stapled under it. For the JOY letters, I put metal foil tape on card stock, embossed it with the snowflake embossing folder, painted the raised snowflake with Stream Ranger Alcohol Ink, cut the word from my Cricut December 25 cartridge, and raised it up on the tag with foam tape. I added a snowflake brad and some clear bling from my stash. The crinkled ribbon was stained with Broken China and Brushed Pewter.

For the Deck the Halls tag, I created a similar background as the snowman tag, using Fired Brick and Tarnished Brass Distress Stains (for the tag and for the crinkled ribbon).

Necessity is the mother of invention, and I did not have any poinsettias except an image on the Joys of the Season Cricut cartridge. (It is not intended to be dimensional, but I just played with several layers of it until I was fairly satisfied with the look..) I found the music to “Deck the Halls” in a Little Golden book of “Christmas Carols” that I have saved from my children’s growing-up years. I scanned it, printed it onto cardstock, and cut it on the Cricut. Then I sponged the petals heavily with Fired Brick Distress Ink. (and a little Pine Needles for the leaves). I love that the poinsettia is made from the music to the song that is the theme of the tag (she said, proudly patting herself on the back). I printed “Deck the Halls” on the computer, inked the edges, and adhered it to a ticket. My pewter music notes didn’t go with the gold on the tag, so I painted them black with Ranger Alcohol Ink.

The flourish is cut from grungeboard from Tim’s Movers and Shapers die and then stained with Tarnished Brass Distress Stain. I usually use the Gold Paint Dabber to make a gold flourish, but I really love the new metallic stains for this!

I wanted a little more bling on the poinsettia, so I sprayed it with my “go-to” Perfect Pearls Mist (Sunflower Sparkle).

IMG_3164 w border

And here are these two tags on my “tag tree”:

IMG_3188 w borderIMG_3191 deck w border

I will be entering one or both of these tags in several challenges:

Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog—Snowflakes

My Grafico Anything Goes Challenge

Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge-Inspired by Tim’s 12 Tags

Addicted to Stamps Challenge-Bingo
(Snowman tag: Glitter, Embossed, Snowflake)

Paper Crafting Journey Challenge-Christmas

4 Crafty Chicks Challenge-Snowmen

Stampin’ for the Weekend-Let it Snow Challenge

2 Sisters Challenge Blog-Snowflakes

Anything But a Card-Seasonal Holiday Challenge

Inspiration Journal Challenge
(Snowman tag, using Joy’s favorite Distress Ink, Broken China, and the word “Joy”)

Now, off to spend the day tomorrow with my mother, who is having a major, scary surgery. Prayers appreciated!

19 comments:

Words and Pictures said...

Lovely takes on the two tags... the snowman is just enchanting!
Alison x

Paper Profusion said...

Beautiful work Barbara. For some reason, of all the work you have done on these (gorgeous as it is), I find the way you have laid the 3 crystals on the top left corner of tag really eyecatching! Nicola x

Tamie said...

Fantastic snowman tag! I love the colors and the image. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful inspiration with us at 4 Crafty Chicks.

Sarah J Moerman said...

Fabulous tags! LOVE the snowman image! Thanks for joining us for the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

A little creativity...bahahahaha...you are a little funny as well! You have mounds and mounds of creativity and TALENT!!!
Fab tags! Love the added trims and fibers...awesome texture! Both are gorgeous!

Terry said...

Thank you for sharing your fabulous tag with the DT from Simon Says Stamp and Show, love the snowman wowwzersss love the colours too, thank you for sharing Hugs Terry xxxx

Scrappin' Stacy said...

Wonderful tags! I love the snowman one. Have a very Merry Christmas!

Marjie Kemper said...

These are lovely, Barb. I'm so glad you are spreading your wings and bending the rules... you have loads of creativity and should feel free to let it shine!

Leanne said...

Thanks for playing our snowman challenge at 4 Crafty Chicks, great job!

Candy C said...

Barb, your tags are DARLING and really do have such a Tim influence! Love the blueprint snowman tag. He's adorable. Your tag with the tattered poinsettia is also so nicely done. Beautiful job! Thanks so much for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

Unknown said...

Beautiful tags! they look fantastic i love how you added your own special touch to them

Anonymous said...

fab tags thanks for sharing with us at 2 sisters this week good luck with the challenge Tracy x

Unknown said...

Oh I love these tags. I love them both although I think that the poinsettia one is my favourite by just a tiny margin :-)
Thanks for joining us over at ATSC
Hugs
Tasha
xx

Marlies said...

Two beautiful tags and I love the snowman tag! Thanks for joining us at ATSC, Marlies x

Gale said...

Gorgeous tags, Barbara. I love all the detail on them. They are very creative. Thanks for playing along with us at PCJ and good luck in the Christmas challenge. Hugs, Gale

Julie said...

Wow - two beautiful tags! I love the snowman tag!

Thanks for joining us at Stampin' for the Weekend for our Let it Snow Challenge!

Hugs

Julie x

Julia S-W said...

Beautiful tags which show lots of creativity - never underestimate yourself!
My favourite is the snowman but the poinsettia looks wonderful too.
Thanks for sharing with us at Anything But A Card this time.
Juliax

Anonymous said...

I'm no crafter (HA!), but I like the Deck the Halls one best. I think it's because it reminds me of the way Dawson sings that song: "Deck the halls with Holly Jolly. lalalalalalalalalah.

Christy said...

GREAT tags!!! I love that snowman image and the flower with sheet music paper is AWESOME!!! Thanks for joining us at Anything But a Card this challenge!